Journal writing is something that I love and I especially love to use in my classrooms. Gail Tompkins describes the purpose of journal writing as "...to record experiences, ideas, to ask questions, to activate prior knowledge, to engage the imagination, to assume the role of another person and to solve problems" (2008, p.102). I have to say that I have used journals to perform these tasks.
The first type of journal writing is personal journals. I really liked the activity we did a couple weeks ago where we just wrote out our frustrations. Afterwards, I felt a sense of calm and collectedness. If I have an established "journal" writing policy in my classroom (where the students are in the habit of writing journals) I believe I could use this in my class. Take 3 minutes to writing down everything that is bugging you and then move on. This could especially work for teens because we all know their lives are filled with drama drama and more drama.
I have used Dialogue journals before and this is something I have always planned on using my social studies classroom. "These journals are interactive and conversational in tone, and most important they provide an opportunity for authentic writing and genuine communication" (Tompkins, 2008, p.105). Being a secondary teacher, I know my limits and one of them is communicating with every student every day. I found on my lunch break, I was running around the school trying to "catch up" with my students, if need be. It was crazy and in all honesty I did not like it. Dialogue journals are the answer to this. I can foresee having my students writing in their "journals" during every class. These journals will be set up so my students can ask questions or comments if need be. If a student is shy or is scared to talk in class, they can write their questions down in an environment that is less intimidating. It gives me a chance to carry on a convo with each one of my students during the day, especially when I could see over 100 kids a day.
Reading journals or logs are something I never thought about using my classroom. Most of the reading that takes place in SS classroom (much to my dismay) is from the textbook. Most text books series give a set of reading guides. During my time at Wilson Magnet, I used these a lot because that was what the department expected. I now see, that I could use Reading Logs instead of these pre-made worksheets. Reading logs give the chance for students to "...list unfamiliar words, jot down quotes and take notes..." (Tompkins, 2008, p.106). This could easily be used in a SS classroom.
Learning logs were also a new journal for myself. Students use learning logs to "record or react to what they are learning..." (Tompkins, 2008, p.108). I could see using the reading and learning logs together instead of using the said above worksheet.
The list of journals goes on and on, but I truly believe that the said above journals are ones I could use in my classroom. I could also use these journals for implanting technology into my classroom. There are many sites on the Internet that allow for students to "journal". Journals can also be blogs, because pretty much any of the types of journals can be used in a blog format.
For my students to understand the purpose of journal writing, I have to make sure that I model what correct journal writing is. With everything, my students will need to see the purpose and understand that said purpose for them to learn something.
This is an exception journal entry Carrie. You really share with your reader how you have benefited as a professional from the reading and what has been confirmed for you through the activities in class.
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly the level of careful and critical reflection I had hoped you would be able to achieve through these entries.
Keep it up!