Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

#9-Hick's Chapter 5, Designing and Publishing Digital Writing

I am a product of the digital revolution so it makes sense that I should have my classroom set up so my students get to experience different ways of publishing.  Publishing used to be just writing on a word processor and turning it in to the teacher---this is just not the case anymore and Hick's has opened my eyes to the world of the internet and the publishing tools it has to offer.


Technology has given students a greater audience (that goes beyond the classroom) to share their work with.  I love the idea of students being able to share a piece of writing with the world but I also fear the dangers that could arise from this.  I am glad that Hick's talks about the danger because there are creeps in the world and I know some parents do not want their children's ideas on the internet.  I think I would try to keep internet publishing private and students should still have the option of turning in a hard copy---they should never feel pressured to have their work on the internet.  


Publication and Response
I like the idea of students peer reviewing each other's work on a digital workspace.  First it saves on the red pens and second it allows students to use their technology literacy within the classroom.  I can also see this being a tool for parents to use...they can see what their child is doing in school and help them out either at home or at work.  


Digital Portfolios
I have always loved the idea of portfolios being an assessment.  I like the idea of students showing how much they have learned over a given amount of time.  Instead of creating a binder that might break or get messy--the internet is a great tool for students to share their work over time.  I think that students would have fun creating their portfolio online and they wouldn't have to worry about loosing papers along the way.  


Class Anthologies
I have never heard of these until reading Hick's.  I love the idea of students each turning in a short piece of writing then having an editing team create a single piece of work.  I could see using this with an event in history.  Take the Civil War.  Have some students create biographies on the major players during the war,  Have others create a blurb about a fight, another on the Northern and Southern home fronts etc. etc.--add photos and the class has created their own text on the war.  Students can create these on wiki's and I think it is a great use of them.  
Plus the idea of adding audio to them---have students tell the story/history of the Civil War--what an authentic piece of history coming alive!


I think the tools that Hicks has put forth can fit nicely into my social studies classroom.  My favorite is Class Anthologies and can see using them in my classroom of the future.  My worries are the same as above--I do not want my students ever to feel they have to publish their work online.  Writing is personal and the internet does not change that fact.  I also want to keep my students hidden from any dangers the internet can create.  Also, because of Google, I do not want my students work to be searched or judged without their permission.  With a little privacy settings---I can hopefully protect my students from this.  

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, have you tried using e-tools such as "google docs" or "the comment feature in MSword" to have your peers respond to your drafts?
    This might be a great way for you to further develop and hone your abilities to use these tools personally as well as a part of your instructional practices. What I think is an important strategy writers need to keep in mind is that sometimes it is still beneficial to discuss the work face-to-face when the writer reads the draft aloud to the group. The writer is engaged with text in a very unique way when reading it aloud -- something that is not equally experienced when in a virtual peer conference.

    ReplyDelete